Monday 13 January 2014

Rycroft Hall Haunting's


A little while ago I bumped into a family friend in Manchester, we got chatting online and I was invited to an all night ghost hunt (8:30pm-4:00am) at Ryecroft in Audenshaw not far from Manchester and on the outskirts of Aston-Under Lyne. Rycroft Hall has been many things over the years not to mention a Red Cross hospital during the First World War, housing sick, injured and shell shocked troupes. The building dates back to 1849 and has many ghost stories and sightings of janitors, nurses and lost soldiers patrolling the corridors and steps. The areas in the cellar were commandeered for military use also and one large storage area was turned into a morgue. Our evening ghost hunt began with everyone splitting into groups of 4-6 people and being taken to use the usual tools of the trade ( Ouija boards etc) in different rooms all over the house. One of the very top rooms we were introduced by our team leader (from Simply Paranormal) to the human pendulum. Basically your body replaces the swinging chrystal. We established once a volunteer was found that tipping back was a “Yes”and forward was “No”. After a few questions we found that the female spirit was still looking for her husband who seemed to have died here after suffering shell shock. It was a pretty sad story , children were also contacted, I failed to establish if these were children of families of the wounded or did the building used to house orphans? I do have a contact that remembers the place during the 1940’s so I may conduct an interview and find out. After we were allowed to roam free through the house supplied with not only Ouija boards but also EMF readers (to my delight) we had a vigil in the the cellar/Morgue. This was a pretty unsettling place and once we spent nearly an hour down there, sensory deprivation, I think, got the better of me and I saw some strange figures in silhouette and a figure in a white coat. My imagination and possibly the power of suggestion brought on by our trusty medium maybe? Some moving shadows and strange blue lights were harder to explain and some of us were haveing strange sensory experiences and smell’s as well as feeling sick! ( I was one such person :( 
Overall the evening was very interesting as well as fun to get to catch up with old and new friends. Simply Paranormal were well equipped as not only in supplying old and new ( more scientific) tools for investigations but also plenty of snacks and drinks which were free to all involved. 
The staff were friendly and helpful and I only experienced what I would describe as hoaxing once, this was also mentioned by my friend as to lifting arms slowly up into the air during a seance. I’m not positive about this, but it’s a sceptics view and the whole reason I do this is to find out how these investigations work as well as how certain influences on your mind and body can maybe make us see or experience things just based on putting us in the right atmosphere . 
I do not mock peoples beliefs as I have as much knowledge of the after life as anyone does, I just find it prudent to gather information before coming to a conclusion.
And let’s be honest! It’s an intriguing mystery! And much more fun than sitting on your backside in your cosy home watching “Most Haunted” :) 
Look out for some spooky photos and my next ghost hunting adventure coming up soon on Hallowen night itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment